Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Basics

I've started on Part One of my book, Good Foundations.  In this section are the first 6 steps in the method.  So far, I've read the first two, which are simply a background on the cards themselves and a kind of FAQ about them.

In doing so, I've run into a problem I've often encountered before.  Most tarot decks, and tarot readers, for that matter, associate the suite of Wands with Fire and that of Swords with Air, and this one is no exception.  But this has always seemed backwards to me.  Wands are light and wispy, they move through the air and make a light swishing noise if you swing them hard--all things associated with Air.  Swords, on the other hand, are heavy and sharp and pointy.  They cut and stab and destroy, all things associated with Fire.

Now, I understand that there ARE decks with the Sword/Fire Wands/Air correspondences, and I will probably favor those decks once I actually know more about the whole process.  In the meantime, the best advice I've seen is to interpret the suites as you, personally, see the elements.  I'm worried it might make this particular method confusing, but I just can't force myself to see it the other way around.  I suppose time will tell if this works for me, or if I end up changing my mind.

Which correspondence do you favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment